Friday, January 31, 2014

The Great Dumpling Debate...

Who doesn't love a big giant bowl of chicken and dumplings on a cold winter night?? I don't know about you but I've found that nobody makes chicken & dumplings the same... I like my dumplings to be soft, fluffy and biscuit like but I've found that no one else makes them this way. At Cracker Barrel they are large noodle like things that have no resemblance to a dumpling. I've seen countless Pins on Pinterest that are copy cat Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings but I haven't seen any the way that I make them. My oldest stayed the night with her BFF (as she would say) and her mom made chicken and dumplings. She said it was really good but it wasn't chicken and dumplings, it was chicken and noodles. I make my dumplings with Bisquick, milk, and pepper. That is it, 3 ingredients. Then I drop them in a pot of boiling chicken broth and shredded chicken. My husband insists on eating it with crackers but I think it is perfect with out them! My mom taught me how to make this recipe and I hope my daughters grow up and make this recipe for their families. And then maybe, just maybe, my way might become a little more popular. If you've never tried chicken and dumplings my way, you should try it at least once! It might just change your mind!

What's your favorite way to make dumplings?



Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
"The Tuomala Way"

One whole chicken
3 1/2 Cups Bisquick
1 1/4 cup Milk
1 tsp. Pepper

First I wash my chicken off and then put it in a big pot and cover it with water. I add some Italian seasoning and a couple of bay leaves to it. Then I let it simmer on low heat until it is falling apart. I pull the chicken out of the pot and let it cool enough to be able to handle it. Then I pick the meat from the bones and skin. I then throw the skin and bones back into the pot to make a more flavorful stock for the dumplings. I let the stock simmer for about an hour and then I take it off the heat and let it cool. I then skim the fat off the top and strain it in to a clean pot.

Add the shredded chicken back to the broth and put on medium high heat. You want to get a good rolling boil going.


Now it's time to make the dumplings! Grab a big bowl and add the Bisquick, milk, and pepper. Stir until combined. You want it to be a little wet looking.


When the stock is at a rolling boil add the dumplings in. I like to use my wood spoons and just grab a little dough and drop it in the stock.

Once you get all your dumplings in turn the heat down to low. I usually put the lid on titled to the let the steam out but sometimes I end up making too much to be able to do that! Let them cook for about 10 minutes and then break the dumpling apart and stir it around. This will help thicken the stock up. Let it cook for another 10 minutes or so. The dumplings should be fluffy all the way through and not look doughy at all.. Is doughy even a word? It is now! Ha! 


So it isn't the prettiest looking meal but it is one of my all time favorite comfort foods! The taste makes up for the appearance! Spoon it into some bowls and let it cool for a couple of minutes.. It is always too hot for my little ones! 

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! 


2 comments:

  1. My mother used to make Bot Boi (Pot pie) sometimes she would make it with drop dumplings and sometimes with flat dumplings. Drop dumplings are similar to what you have described in your recipe, for flat dumplings (aka noodles) she would roll the dough out flat and thin. She then cut it into 2" squares and dropped them into the pot a few at a time so they didn't stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa. She sure ate them up! Cra
    cker Barrel ones are my favorite, but I've been experimenting with dumpling recipes, too. My Nanny makes them out of flour tortillas, and that's the way I've always made them until Lee decided he doesn't like them anymore. I think we've tried 3 different recipes lately. That's one thing that's hard to get just right...

    ReplyDelete